Chicken and mushroom pot pie
EASY. Serves 4. PREP: 20 mins COOKING: 45 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup pure cream
- 3 poached chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C. Grease a 6cm deep, 6-cup capacity round ovenproof dish.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms are golden and tender. Add flour and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk and cream until sauce is smooth. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in chicken. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture into prepared dish. Place pastry over filling, trimming to fit dish. Press edge with a fork to seal. Brush pastry with egg. Cut two small slits in top of pastry. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Serve pie with steamed greens.