FOR THE CHICKEN
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 c. whole milk or buttermilk
1 large egg
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 c. whole milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1) Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until 1/4" thick.
2) Set up dredging station: In one shallow bowl, whisk together milk and egg. In another shallow bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and spices.
3) Dredge each piece of chicken in milk then in flour mixture. Repeat until all chicken is coated in breading. Place in fridge while you make gravy.
4) In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook until golden and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. (It will thicken more as it cools!) Remove from heat.
5) Cook chicken: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1/2" to 1" oil until oil is hot but not smoking. Fry each piece of chicken until golden, about 8 minutes total. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
6) Serve chicken hot with gravy.