350 grams Chinese noodles
225 grams skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 steamed Chinese sausages
250 grams shelled and de-veined green prawns
2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon garlic finely crushed
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons peanut oil
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
125 grams beansprouts
4 spring onions
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Freshly crushed red chillies (optional)
- Cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water until tender but firm. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well again. Put aside.
- Slice the chicken breast into small 1/2 cm or 1/4 in pieces. Place in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon dry sherry and sesame oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, cover and allow to marinate.
- Shell and de-vein the green prawns. Cut into 1/2 cm or 1/4 inch pieces. Add 1 tablespoon dry sherry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, cover and allow to marinate.
- Steam the Chinese sausages until well swollen. Allow to cool and cut at an angle into thin slices. Put aside.
- Wash and clean the beansprouts. Remove all the stringy bits, drain and put aside. Clean the spring onions and chop into thin slices.
- Whisk the 2 eggs into an omelette batter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up a wok or large frying pan and add 1 tablespoon oil. Spread the oil all over to coat the wok completely. Stir cook the egg omelette batter. Remove from frying pan. Allow to cool and cut into small pieces according to your preference. Remove all cooked omelette from wok or frying pan to avoid burning of food later on.
- Heat half the remaining oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. When it starts smoking, add the chicken mixture. (Optional: add the freshly crushed red chillies). Stir fry for 2 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Drain oil from chicken pieces and remove from wok or frying pan to a dish. Keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok or frying pan. Heat to simmering point and stir in the garlic and shelled prawns. Stir fry for one minute or until the prawns are slightly cooked. Remove prawns and put aside.
- Place the sliced Chinese sausages in the pan and add the noodles in a gradual manner. Mix well and stir cook taking taking care not to break the noodles. Separate the noodles rather than break. Gradually mix in the fried chicken pieces. - Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 2 tablespoons of mushroom soy sauce. Gradually add the beansprouts, sliced omelette and and the prawns. Mix well without crushing the prawns or the noodles.
- Stir fry until the noodles are heated through. Add the chopped spring onions and mix well.
- Serve at once and eat hot, with a chatini pomme d'amour (tomato with chilli chutney).
Source: Madeleine's recipe : Mine frire
Discover more of Madeleine’s Mauritian cuisine in