Fried Rice with Chicken & Prawns
150 grams Chinese sausages
300 grams green prawns (whole)
200 grams chicken fillet (skinned)
4-6 spring onions
1 small pinch saffron yellow colouring,
dissolved in 1 cup of warm water
500 grams basmati rice
1 cup of dry white wine
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1-2 tablespoon(s) of light soy sauce
1-2 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste
peanut oil for cooking
(recommended as it does not
(Note: You can cook in two batches (use half quantities) as from step 13. Then mix the two batches together before serving. It makes it easier to handle.)
- Slice the Chinese sausages in thin slices at an angle with a sharp knife.
- Shell and de-vein the prawns. Cut into halves or thirds, depending on size. Season with salt, pepper and fish sauce (1 teaspoon) to taste.
- Cut the chicken fillet into half centimetre cubes. Season with salt, pepper and fish sauce (1 teaspoon) to taste.
- Clean spring onions and cut into into thin slices with a sharp knife.
- Wash rice in running cold water and cook. Cook rice in an equal volume of water so that the rice is cooked, but still separated and firm. Use only water to cook the rice without any flavouring. Make sure the rice is cooked and not hard. Add a little more hot water and cook for a few minutes more if necessary. When cooked, spread on a large plate, fluff up to separate the grains and allow to cool. Do this in advance.
- Beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon of salt, dash of light soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Heat up a wok (or other similar wide frying pan) under high heat. Put in 1 tablespoon of oil and spread the oil to coat the wok all over so that the eggs do not burn..
- Pour in the beaten eggs. Stir cook, break and scrape in the omelette with a spatula until you get a scrambled egg mixture broken into small pieces. Cook until the scrambled egg pieces are well cooked and light golden in colour.
- Clean up the wok of all scrambled egg pieces. Pour in two tablespoons of oil. Heat up to smoking point but not burning.
- Fry the chicken pieces until thoroughly cooked and light golden in colour. Flavour the chicken by adding 1 teaspoon of sesame oil towards the end. Remove chicken pieces, allow oil to drain off and put aside.
- Fry the sliced Chinese sausages until the sausages start to become transparent. Drain off oil and remove from wok. Put aside.
- Put in the prawns and stir fry until just cooked. Remove from wok, drain off oil and put aside.
- Top up oil in wok so that there are approximately 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Stir in the rice in batches, making sure that rice is loose and not in lumps. Season with 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, half teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Mix well together, add half cup of dry white wine and quickly stir fry for a few minutes until well coated with the seasoning.
- Sprinkle sparingly with drops of the saffron coloured water to obtain a half yellow / half white rice mix. Stir fry for another minute.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce. Stir and mix well together. Add remaining half cup of dry white wine and stir mix quickly while the wine evaporates.
- Stir in the cooked Chinese sausages and chicken pieces, mix well. Stir cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the scrambled eggs and prawns.
- Stir mix carefully so as not to damage the prawns for 2-3 minutes. Stir in half the spring onions and mix well with the fried rice.
- Remove from heat and stir mix the remaining spring onions.
- Serve hot with chilli sauce, a tomato chutney with chillies and garlic sauce.
Enjoy. Bon Appetit.
Madeleine's recipe :Maddy's Fried Rice
Discover more of Madeleine’s Mauritian cuisine and recipes by following this link