Mauritian Rougaille Dizef
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Total Time : 50 mins
1 tin canned tomatoes (400g)
2 medium sized finely chopped onions
1 tsp of ginger/garlic paste
1 tbsp of curry powder
1 dry red chilli
salt to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Put water to a boil in a saucepan and when it comes to a boil add the eggs for approx. 10 mins.
- When the eggs are done, remove, peel and set aside.
- In another pan , add oil and sauteed onions , ginger/garlic, thymes and curry leaves as well as dry chilli altogether for 5 mins.
- Add the curry powder and give it a good mix.
- Add tinned tomatoes, salt accordingly and leave to cook for 20 mins more.
- When tomato is reduced to a gravy , add the eggs whole or cut in halves and stir carefully in.
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander and serve over white fluffy rice or in flatbreads.
Note : If you do not like consistent gravy , just add in water a little at a time until you find it to your liking.