- 900g (2 lb) dates, pitted and chopped
- 900g (2 lb) English walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / Gas mark 2. Grease and flour a 25cm (10 in) tube cake tin.
- In a large bowl, combine dates, walnuts, sugar, baking powder and flour. Stir in egg yolks. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the fruit/nut mixture until no streaks remain. Spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes. Let cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.